Sailing Miss Informed: A Sailing Journey Aboard S/V Miss Informed! » Follow our journey through the Bahamas as we escape Winter 2015!

Peace Out, Hope Town!

Over the past two months we’ve had to deal with very narrow weather windows. They were so tight that if we were to leave an hour or two late, we’d find ourselves in strong winds and uncomfortable, deep seas. It was time for us to leave Hope Town, despite how much we had grown fond of the town, and this 60 mile trip South was no exception. The wind had been gusting at well over 20 knots for the past week and we had a 24 hour period of calm winds before it would pick right back up where it left off. We departed our anchorage at 6AM that morning and hoped for the best. The winds were very calm but the seas had not yet begun to lay down so we found ourselves in some swells that got all but Brian and Alex seasick. About six hours later the swells began to calm and eyes began to open. We arrived at an anchorage just West of Spanish Wells as the sun set over the ocean. Just as we settled in, the wind began to pick back up over 20 knots. The timing was perfect and the weather report was spot-on. Well done,, well done…

That night we were awoken by the boat dragging through the anchorage. Dropping anchor at night is never a great situation because you can’t see if the anchor has really dug in or not. More often than not, if you can’t see the anchor dig in, it is not dug in and you are bound to have an eventful night on the water if the wind picks up. This was one of those times and it was a bit of a panic at 3AM that night as Cass, Brian, and Alex scurried about the boat to reset and try again. The anchor did eventually bite into the sand and we continued our slumber.

In the morning we made the short sail to Spanish Wells, the fishing capital of The Bahamas. Coming into the channel you are surrounded by huge fishing vessels and shrimp boats all tied up to private docks as far as the eye could see. If the water weren’t so clear, you’d swear you were in the bayous of Louisiana. There was only one marina here and we were a little disappointed to find that it was in a sad state of affairs. It was early in the process of huge renovations, but hey, they had wifi, a dock, and a restroom facility. The following few days were spent exploring the island to find a good spot to watch the Superbowl and we did just that! Buddah’s Restaurant/ Bar is a must-see if you ever come out this way. All of the food is cooked out of an abandoned bus off to the right, to the left is a short-bus where Buddha’s wife cuts hair, and in between both is a bar/ restaurant area that was getting prepped for a Superbowl bash. Buddha himself came up to us as we explored the confusing scene. He was very happy to hear that we were thinking about stopping by for the Superbowl and thought it was best to pour us some free shots to seal the deal. Needless to say, he had us at hello. The next day was the Superbowl and it was a packed house. Brian was betting on the Patriots and Alex on the Seahawks. Neither of us cared too much about the outcome so to make it more interesting we made some friendly bets. Our wager for the game involved laying on the bar face down for 10 seconds just as the game ended. Alex lost and didn’t hesitate to get up there. He was the king of the moment that night and earned much respect from Cap’n Brian and the crew.

A few days later we sailed south towards the Exuma Cays.

Back to TopEMAILPOSTFacebookPOSTTweetPOSTSubscribe

Your email is never published or shared. Required fields are marked *